Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Critics

Is it or isn't it true that especially as a female, we are our own worst critics? We are harder on ourselves than anyone else. We look in the mirror and see all the flaws that other people don't see. We analyze and scrutinize things to death when it comes to what we present to other people?

I am no longer so sure. Today I was doing some research on matchmaking and there are a lot of women who blog about having no idea why they are still single? Or women who have put out personal ads that definitely don't highlight the things that they believe are wrong with them.

Yes I realize that you won't attract a person with the internal monologue you have with yourself about the size of your thighs or the inflections in your voice. I just think it is contradictory, even for me. When I think about being single I often wonder why I am. Yet, when I look at myself in the mirror or think about myself in the capacity of just being me I am left feeling a bit lackluster. I know you get out what you put in, or at least that is another rule of thumb people adhere to, but then what would explain the harsh criticisms and the contradictory glowing reviews when the context of the question changes?

No comments: