Monday, February 22, 2010

Is it a habit???

I am perplexed by people who talk with their hands when they are on the phone. It is a phenomenon that I just don't understand. I am sure I probably talk with my hands, but not excessively. I am not one of those people who feels I'm not truly expressing myself unless I have hand signals to go with my words. I have met people who completely disagree with me, and I do agree that a well placed hand motion at the right moment can make all the difference, but not when you are on the phone.

Whoever you're talking to can't see you shrug your shoulders, or wave your hands in the air (which came dangerously close to clocking me in the face, by the way). You aren't making your point stronger or gaining sympathy with your pointing and your clapping. You look foolish and whatever your motivation for using your hands is lost on the person on the other end of the line. They are blind to your wild gesticulations and over the top body language. Hint: they call it body language because the person has to actually be able see it. So make your faces if that helps you sound more serious, more confused or more elated. But doing the wave to emphasize your excitement makes me think you either don't understand the fundamental technology behind a telephone, or you've got some crazy Tourettes-like body tic.

No comments: